Area Manager: Norwegian Refugee Council Cameroon
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Do you want to be part of establishing a new country programme? NRC is looking for an experienced Area Manager for a new country programme in Cameroon.
NRC is seeking to expand our programmes in the Lake Chad Basin beyond our current presence in Nigeria. Assessments in the North and East of Cameroon are currently being conducted and we expect to start operations in the country soon.
The purpose of the Area Manager position is to ensure high quality and cost effective programme/project implementation within the designated geographical area. The Area Manager reports to the Country Director.
- Line management for senior project staff and support functions in the area
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Provide area specific input on Core Competency (CC) strategies, Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Organize grants opening and closure meetings at area level
- Implementation of projects (including master support budget and coordinating input for donor proposals and reports) in the area
- Assess needs, develop emergency response and implement response plans
- Ensure optimal use of resources within the allocated project budgets and CC strategies
- Represent NRC and networking on area level, to foster a culture of information-sharing and transparency with other actors
- Active participation in and promotion of coordinating bodies aimed at filling gaps and improving the assistance to the target group
- Identify, initiate and follow up on advocacy issues, and actively promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Recruitment of local staff and capacity building
- Ensure overall security and safety of staff in the area
- Establish a good working environment based on the NRC values
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a Senior Project Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
Knowledge About Own Leadership Skills/profile
- Fluency in English and French, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the context in Central and West Africa.
- Knowledge of the context in Cameroon/ far North Cameroon
- Proven capacity in finance, logistics, human resources, and security management
- Experience with start-up is an advantage
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Managing resources to optimise results
- A good sense of humour is an asset
We offer Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Kousserie, Logone et Chari, with frequent travel to the field
Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start
Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.
Apply for this job