Emergency Coordinator Nigeria/Cameroon at Malteser
Malteser International is the worldwide relief agency of the Sovereign Order of Malta for humanitarian aid. Its mission is not only to provide emergency relief, but also to implement rehabilitation measures and to facilitate the link between emergency relief and sustainable development. The United Nations has reported that starvation threatens more than a million children in Somalia, Nigeria, Yemen, and South Sudan. Conditions in other African countries are also worsening – with growing hunger caused by months of drought leaving children amongst the most badly affected. Malteser International plans to deliver humanitarian assistance to the affected population (IDPs, host communities and refugees) in Nigeria and Cameroon in response to the current famine crisis and displacement in the region. Program activities will be partly self-implemented and partly implemented through partners.
In support of our work in Nigeria and Cameroon, Malteser International is looking for an Emergency Coordinator
As Emergency Coordinator, you will be in charge of the initial set up, management and coordination of relief activities as well as of the liaison with local partner organisations and other stakeholders. There upon you will coordinate and monitor the program in line with Malteser International’s policies, procedures and guidelines and in close cooperation with partners. You will lead the program ensuring the sound implementation and further development of the program according to identified needs. Furthermore, you will be responsible to write high quality reports on program status and achievements and support the development of new proposals and concepts to develop this program.
- Set up of relief activities and local infrastructure (project office, accommodation, employment of national staff)
- Continue to assess and adapt the relief activities to relevant needs of the affected population in the sector of health, nutrition and WASH and according to international standards and humanitarian principals
- Overall coordination and supervision of the program including personnel, fixed assets, financial assets and other resources in accordance with Malteser procedures and regulations
- Monitor the evolving humanitarian situation and consider immediate strategic and responses to the same
- Liaise with relevant donors and assess funding opportunities
- Elaborate and hand in proposals for relevant donors
- Set up a proper and adequate monitoring system for the program activities
- Assure continuous exchange of information with the key information holders on most recent trends and/or developments on project or sector related issues in order to further strengthen the portfolio
- Represent the Malteser program/projects and build and maintain good relations with local communities, national authorities, international and national organisations, including the UN-coordination system, represented in the target area
- Support local partner organizations in planning and design of project activities and the relevant reporting
- Preferably a Masters Degree in Social Sciences, preference given to Disaster Management, Development Studies
- Minimum 5 years of working experience in managing humanitarian projects with international NGOs and demonstrated track record of innovation and leadership
- Experience with humanitarian assistance in health, nutrition or WASH related projects desired. Proven experience with cash based interventions a strong asset
- Experience in working with German and international donors (AA, BMZ, EU, UNIHPF etc.)
- Excellent project management skills, and proven ability of working in close collaboration with multiple stakeholders
- Proven project planning skills including project proposal development, logical framework and report writing including experience with Monitoring and Evaluation tools
- Knowledge of relevant international standards such as SPHERE, Core Humanitarian Standards a.o.
- Proven communication skills including the ability to effectively motivate people and to diplomatically manage the relationship with local partners, different authorities and donors
- Proven problem solving and organizational skills, including training/capacity building
- A strong team oriented approach with excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills
- A high level of physical and mental resilience
- Fully computer literate (Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent written and spoken English; knowledge of French and/or German is a strong asset.
- Start date: 1st of August 2017 or even before
- Duty station: Nigeria or Cameroon (exact location has to be identified, based on project intervention)
- Duration of contract: until 31.01.2018 (extension possible, subject to additional donor funding approvals)
- Salary according to qualification and experience, insurance package, accomodation, return flight, paid leave days and medical check-up
- Please note that this is an unaccompanied position
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position, please apply online until 31.07.2017
Please note that due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer this post before the closing date.
NB: You need Professional Help from our awesome team to develop a winning professional CV (resume) , motivation letter & Cover Letter for you at 50% Discount? Then contact us now. Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 656140207
Apply for this job