Internship: Development Analyst
The Development Analyst will be expected to complete assignments in the areas of program and policy development, analysis and advocacy for the Economic Development; to act as a resource to businesses and local governments to attract and retain quality jobs; to serve as focal point for public and private sectors; to identify economic issues and coordinate relevant economic development activities that are critical for the economic vitality of the community; and to perform other related duties as required.
Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university, with a degree in a related field of planning, economics or economic development preferred within the last three years. Masters Degree and PhDs preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- A superior command of both written and oral communication (in both French and English) with a strong talent for presentations, web content and blogging.
- Experience building partnerships and developing positive, collaborative rapport with various levels of management, civil services agencies, community-based organizations, staff and publics.
- A history of planning, organizing and facilitating large-scale meetings and events.
- A true desire to improve one’s community through partnership, initiative and personal action.
- An acute understanding of interpersonal skills with the ability to listen thoughtfully, be approachable and take note of the concerns of others.
- A proven track record of managing a large volume of work, while maintaining a high attention to detail.
- The principles, practices and issues of economic and community development including development and recruitment, strategic planning and resource development.
- The preparation, review and dissemination of technical reports (technical writing skills).
- Statistical and analytical techniques applicable to economic and demographic data.
Working Knowledge of:
- Fiscal and budgetary practices and funding sources.
- Principles of administration, organization and management.
- Techniques used in group dynamics, negotiation and consensus building.
- Computers and software (Microsoft Word, Access, Excel & Outlook and Adobe Acrobat).
- Use of the internet to conduct research, access data, reports and related news.
- The principles and techniques of report writing and organizational and operational analysis.
Desired Knowledge of:
- How to utilize website editing and publication software like Microsoft FrontPage, Expression Web or Dreamweaver to maintain and create webpages or websites on the internet.
- How to utilize a database program like Microsoft Access to import, format, analyze, create queries, link to, manage and update information.
- How to design, use an RFP and manage a contract with consultants and service providers.
- How to develop and implement a regional economic development program, including proactive outreach and communications, marketing strategies and collateral materials.
- Research and prepare complex economic development proposals.
- Analyze technical, legal and financial documents and interpret and apply complex rules, regulations, laws and ordinances.
- Organize work, set priorities and exercise sound independent judgment within established guidelines and use creative ways to resolve issues.
- Work effectively with public officials, business leaders, financial institutions, citizen groups and department managers in interdepartmental and diverse team environments.
- Effectively communicate technical information, verbally and in writing, to the business community, news media and through public presentations.
- Establish and maintain a positive customer service attitude and work effectively with internal and external customers, in a highly visible position.
- Maintain assignment flexibility and be able to manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Learn new software programs and communications systems.
- Utilize letters, newsletters and the internet to communicate effectively with staff, members, business clients and prospects.
- Write at least one article every two weeks for the website on issues that can contribute to the economic transition of Cameroon and Africa.
Interested individuals should submit their full applications online. The foundation reviews applications on a rolling basis. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an in-person interview in Yaounde. This position is a FULL Time position and based at the foundation’s main office in Yaounde.
Apply for this job