Livestock Technician at Community Action for Development
Community Action for Development (CAD) seeks the services of a qualified candidate to fill the position of a Livestock Technician. The Livestock Technician will contribute to CAD’s efforts towards the promotion of agro-pastoral development and improvement of the income levels of local communities. He/she shall work as a team member of CAD in Bangem, reporting to the Coordinator.
A/. MAIN RESPONSIBILTIES
- Co-ordinate and promote CAD’s sustainable livestock activities with target communities;
- Build farmer’s capacities on livestock production and management;
- Assist farmers set up modern livestock farms and ensure effective management of these;
- Improve the organizational, managerial and business skills of community groups and cooperatives;
- Make concrete proposals to management on matters relating to livestock production;
- Laisse with relevant government departments and private sector institutions involved in the livestock sector;
- Generate a household data-base within target groups and cooperatives on production and income levels with focus on crops/livestock;
- Identify farmer’s problems and propose concrete solutions;
- Draw up plans of activities and ensure effective implementation;
- Design training materials for farmers on sustainable livestock practices;
- Mainstreaming environmental protection in farmers agro-pastoral activities;
- Monitor and evaluate farmers’ activities and generate reports of acceptable standards;
- Write project proposals for funding.
B/. REQUIRED QUALIFICATION:
- A Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Animal production with background in crop production or Agriculture;
- At least one years’ experience, with demonstrated success in working with civil society organizations and community-based organisations;
- Experience working with the government and donors;
- A thorough knowledge of computer operations.
- C/. REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Ability to document best practices, lessons learned and success stories;
- Experienced in fundraising, including proposal and report writing as well as networking;
- Strong leadership abilities and ability to work under pressure;
- Excellent inter-personal skills, including the ability to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels, within CAD and, as required, with external stakeholders;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and French;
- Adherence to CAD’s values and principles;
- Ability to work in remote areas and cross cultural settings;
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision would be considered an asset.
An application letter, CV and copy of highest certificate or diploma should be sent online by clicking on "Apply for this job" or deposited at CAD’s Head Office at Street five(5), Bangem or P.O Box 85 Bangem, South West Region, Cameroon.
Deadline for applications: 25 June 2017.
Thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for follow up. If you have not been contacted two (2) weeks after closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.
Female applicants are encouraged. CAD is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.
Apply for this job