Position: Peace and Security Policy Analyst
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions: Under the direct supervision of the Director of the Peace and Security Division of the Nkafu Policy Institute the following duties shall be as follows:
- Prepare a synthesis of the reports of the Peace and Security Division of the Nkafu Policy Institute. Identify common issues/challenges reported as well as good practices and potential areas for capacity building;
- Carry out mediation consultancies on local, national and regional conflicts in Africa;
- Undertake research to gather global good practices and analyses on Peace and Security Issues;
- Undertake policy analysis tasks in the field of peace and security;
- Write and publish articles and policy briefs and Op-Eds issues in the field of peace and security in Cameroon in particular and Africa as a whole;
- Participate in the execution of projects in the Peace and Security Division;
- Facilitate in training workshops and conferences related to Peace and Security issues in Africa;
- Contribute to the development of online and onsite training modules regarding peace and security and other related issues in English and French; and
- Organize webinars in peace and security related issues in English and French.
- Knowledge about international, regional and domestic peace and security challenges in Cameroon, Africa and the world;
- Previous experience of working on projects relating to the Peace, and Security Agenda;
- Proven research and writing skills; training/facilitation skills, and the ability to set priorities, manage time effectively, and contribute to a team environment of respect, recognition, and mutual accountability;
- Excellent inter-personal and general communication skills;
- Ability to work under pressure to follow deadlines and handle numerous tasks simultaneously and still deliver quality work products;
- Strong and proven integrity, time management and work prioritization and analytical skills; Demonstrated sensitivity, discretion, tact and courtesy in relation to peace and security, development principles and projects.
- Strong commitment to upholding the organizational values and principles of the Nkafu Policy Institute
- Integrity: Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of the Nkafu Policy Institute in actions and decisions;
- Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing diversity: Appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Promoting Ethics and Integrity within the organization
- Organizational Awareness: Building staff competence, developing and empowering People; coaching and mentoring and creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Team work: Building and promoting effective teams, communicating information and ideas.
- Conflict sensitivity: Leveraging conflict in the interests of the organization & setting standards.
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Fair and transparent decision making; risk management
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s Degree in peace and security studies, political science, human rights, development cooperation, gender studies, public administration, or any other related fields with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of progressively relevant professional working experience, in the fields of peace and security, human rights, and/or gender/women and peacebuilding
Language Requirements: Fluent/professional spoken and written English and French
Application Deadline: 13 May 2021
Note: Applications are only accepted through the online application portal of the Nkafu Policy Institute.
Documents to be included when submitting the application are:
- A cover letter with a brief presentation of your experience explaining your suitability for the work;
- An up-to-date personal CV.
- A sample of your publication in the related field
- A most recent 4 x 4 passport-size photo
Apply for this job