Scientist, Forests and Woodfuel: Center for International Forestry Research
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
CIFOR is looking for a
Scientist, Forests and Woodfuel
Flagship 3 (FP3) of the CGIAR Research Program on Forest, Trees, and Agroforestry (FTA) on Sustainable Value Chains and Investment examines and provides options on how global value chains and investments can be made more sustainable and inclusive, and how finance can be leveraged for scaling up. The position will support FP3 in achieving this by contributing to the design and implementation of research projects that aim to identify viable business and financial models and supportive governance arrangements that contribute to addressing inclusivity and sustainability challenges facing forest and agricultural commodities production. In particular, this position will contribute to a project funded by European Commission Development Cooperation (EC DEVCO) entitled “Governing multifunctional landscapes in sub-Saharan Africa: Managing trade-offs between social and ecological impacts”. This project aims to, amongst others, conduct analysis and development of policy options for improving woodfuel value chains and their impacts on livelihoods.
There is an overall need in sub-Saharan Africa for better understanding of woodfuel value chains and actors involved, both for dry and humid forest zones, as well as in specific areas with high pressure or particular governance challenges. CIFOR aims to answer research questions regarding informal woodfuel value chains and to identify viable policy options in collaboration with project partners and local stakeholders. The project aims to contribute to development of sustainable woodfuel value chains from upstream wood sources (forests and other wood sources), to production and to downstream consumption by households and small- and medium-sized enterprises. The project will provide evidence-based policy options in participating countries in order to promote the sustainable management of forest resources, which includes production of woodfuel from natural and restored forests and other production systems (agroforestry, village plantations, use of wood residues, etc.). The policy options developed will strengthen sector governance and institutions, and benefit stakeholders, including women and other marginalized groups.
Project activities aimed at fostering more sustainable woodfuel options throughout the value chain, including cross-border trade, will be conducted in selected areas of the Congo Basin with extensions to East and Southern Africa. Countries include Cameroon, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Zambia and bordering countries, such as Central African Republic, Chad, Nigeria, Somalia and Uganda. CIFOR will select relevant cities and their supply zones and other priority zones based on a scoping study and feasibility of pilot activities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Conduct research on trade flows in the region and woodfuel value chain dynamics of selected sites;
- Plan and monitor projects especially for research and pilot project activities conducted in Cameroon, DRC, the Central African Republic, the Republic of Congo, the border area and the big cities;
- Assist in the supervision of consultants and interns involved in the implementation of the project;
- Maintain and develop relationships with partners involved in the implementation of the project;
- Manage project resources as needed per CIFOR’s procedures and regulations;
- Contribute to the development of detailed methodologies for data collection and analysis;
- Write publications and other scientific communications related to project research activities;
- Develop and contribute to the preparation of donor reports;
- Lead, coordinate and/or contribute to policy-science dialogue on woodfuel in forest agriculture landscapes and options for more sustainable solutions throughout the value chain;
- Review and contribute to the organization and scientific content of CIFOR-hosted events with special duties on project related events;
- Review and contribute to greater visibility of CIFOR work especially in the areas covered by the project, notably Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade (FLEGT) and woodfuel value chains;
- Contribute to the development of new project proposals and resource mobilization;
- Represent CIFOR as needed.
Education, knowledge and experience
- PhD in a discipline related to social/economic aspects of forestry;
- A minimum of ten years of work experience in research;
- Relevant publication record, especially in peer-reviewed publications;
- Track record in resource mobilization/fundraising and in proposal development;
- Ability to work in both English and French.
Terms and Conditions
- This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in USD, commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment is for 2 years, inclusive of a 9-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be at CIFOR Hub office in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
The application deadline is 31 Mar-2018
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Do you know why you Have Never Been Called for an Interview or scholarships?
You need Professional Help from our awesome Career experts team to develop
Winning professional CV (resume) , motivation letter & Cover Letter for you at 50% Discount?
You need career management advice?
Then contact us now. Email us at: email@example.com or call 656140207 and get your CV, Cover Letter or Motivation delivered within hours.
Don't apply for jobs through the above email. Thank you
Recent Jobs in Cameroon New Jobs in Cameroon Jobs in Cameroon
Apply for this job